Our school opened in 1991 and serves a K-5 population of approximately 400 students. The energies and activities of our teachers and parent–teacher organization are directed toward developing a school that fulfills our vision of developing responsible, independent learners.
At Munger Hill, we are committed to our beliefs about learning:
- Learning is a self-satisfying activity that leads to a sense of empowerment.
- Learners should feel individually known, cared for, and nurtured in a manner that lessens their sense of fear and creates a climate conducive for learning.
- Learners should understand that the acquisition of new knowledge and skills enables them to share with others in a manner that develops greater understanding of ideas.
- Learners are committed to the idea that learning takes time and practice.
- Instruction should promote positive beliefs about learning that lead to a student’s understanding of the power of learning and its life-enhancing ability.
- Instruction should take into account different learning rates and styles.
- Instruction should never be stagnant, but should have some element of risk in trying new things.
Based on our belief system, we hope for the following outcomes for students:
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary school with an ability to effectively listen and express themselves in the verbal and written form.
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary School with respect for human differences of all kinds.
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary School with the knowledge of effective group skills and how to cooperate and function effectively with others to develop solutions.
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary School with an appreciation of the value of reading and mathematics and how they enrich our lives both academically and personally.
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary School as self-confident learners, willing to take intellectual risks, to ask questions and to know that there are a variety of ways to find solutions.
- Our students will leave Munger Hill Elementary School with a well-defined sense of commitment to quality work.
Munger Hill Elementary School utilizes a self-contained organization at all grade levels. Music, Art, Physical Education, Health and Science & Technology support services are delivered weekly in a 40 minute period. Students attend school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.